Brian Safford wrote:

> Which DB type will provide the best performance?  We're currently using
> MyISAM, but I'm curious if switching to InnoDB will provide any performance
>improvements.
>
> Regards,
> Brian Safford
> EDS Messaging
>
> Note: The following was added to get this posting through the spam
> filters: sql query

Hello Brian,

I would only use innodb if you "must" have transaction support or row level locking. It
seems to me to be just as fast,  or maybe a
little slower due to log file writes, as the myisam tables. There is one important
thing I
do not like about Innodb tables.

.If you add or drop and index, it rebuilds the entire table (possibly tablespace, I'm
not
sure).  During testing,
I've found  that its faster to drop a table, recreate it with the new index,  and
reimport
the data. From what I understand,
it's because the indexes are kept along with the data unlike myisam where the indexes
are
seperate files.

Hope this helps!
walt