All,

I have a table which was accessible for the last couple years but is now
inaccessible after performing a simple alter table command.

There are approx. 10 tables in this database on which the same alter table
command was given ("alter table table_name add glperiod varchar (3) null
first;"). All of these tables are O.K. (and were correctly altered) except 1.

What happens is that whenever I try to perform an SQL command against this
table (called "codeprojects"), either MySQL hangs (at the command prompt)
or my perl script hangs in the "$sth->execute($sql)" statement. Like I
said, all of these methods, etc. worked on this table in the past and still
work on the rest of the tables.

I've tried, restarting MySQL (which seemed to work at first but now does
not), dropping and rebuilding the table (it hangs on the drop command),
copying a "working" copy of the three table files from a backup database,
deleting the three files and starting over again. Nothing has worked so far.

Any ideas??

OS: Redhat 7.1 Linux
MySQL: 3.23.41

Thanks,

Phil

P.S.
My team members are big fans of MySQL and are using it exclusively for our
web systems. Keep up the GREAT work!!