Nestor:

I've set the password for root and granted privileges to it.

see below:

mysql> select * from user where user='root';
+-----------+------+------------------+-------------+-------------+---------
----+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+-
-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+------
------+
| Host      | User | Password         | Select_priv | Insert_priv |
Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Reload_priv |
Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv |
Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-----------+------+------------------+-------------+-------------+---------
----+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+-
-------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+------
------+
| localhost | root | 005a1506376eec48 | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y             | Y
| Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          | Y          |
| stargate  | root |                  | Y           | Y           | Y
| Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y             | Y
| Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          | Y          |
------+
2 rows in set (0.04 sec)

--Kevin