On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, DeNewbie wrote:

> I am a newbie and I am having a chronic problem getting mysql started up and
>running. I got so frustrated that I uninstalled the mysql rpms and started over again
>but its hasn't helped my situation. My whole problem revolves around mysql_install_db
>setup. This is what I am doing and its simply giving me problems. All I want to do is
>enter the root and host paswords but I can't get past the root password setup.
>

> PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
> This is done with:
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'
>
> I input this;
>
> cords-orj86jfje:/usr/bin # mysqladmin -u root  password sqlpass
> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
>
> How do I correct this situation. Why am I having such a hard time entering these
>passwords. I can't even enter the root password. I'm nearly giving up.

Hi,

Really, please check that the server itself _is_ running _and_ the socket
file exists at the mentioned location.

If the server is down, start it in your mysql directory by entering
bin/mysqld_safe (if using MySQL 4.x) or bin/safe_mysqld (if using 3.xx).

Regards,
Iikka

ps. The manual has a section on those can't-connect things (at least I think
I've seen this somewhere before).

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *