Thanks again for the help!  I tried this on my local machine and it
worked like a champ.  Here is the question that my unix software
programmer has:

"I believe the "client" end would be a unix ODBC, which mysql has an SCO
version, but it says you need iODBC (or uODBC - I can't remember which),
but they don't have a compiled version for SCO. So we would need the gcc
compiler and then compile it. That throws a whole other wrench into it
as I don't want to be responsible in trying to figure why it won't
compile - if there is a problem.

The easiest thing might be to install a full version of MySQL on the SCO
machine. That should include the client. So then we could write to the
other server (or the SCO server if for some reason we need to). The
neato advantage to this is for new software. The software I am currently
writing is Windows client with SQL Server 2000. I could change it so it
uses MySQL and then the data server could continue to be the SCO machine
for security purposes.

Pose the question to the list that:

If I load a full version of MySQL on SCO OpenServer 5.2, does that
include a client so I could write to both a linux machine running MySQL
or the SCO machine just by changing the INSERT statement?

If so, that would be the easiest since MySQL has a compiled binary for
SCO (I looked at 3.2 - last stable version - I didn't check the 4.03
max."

So this brings up this question from me:

I am using MySQL version 4.0.3max right now so lets say that we
installed version 3.2 on the UNIX machine, could the older client talk
to the 4.0* versions of the MySQL server or should we try to keep them
the same?  It will be only for simple insert statements and maybe simple
selects in the future.

Thanks again for the help.

Chris