Subject: MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1.i386.rpm is missing many files.
From: alg
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 20:17:05 -0400

   I'm trying to install MySQL MAX 3.23.52 (MySQL, with
   transactions enabled).  My rpm attempts goes like this...

   1. Check for installed MySQL...
        [root@Zeke mysql]# rpm -q -a | fgrep -i mysql
        [root@Zeke mysql]#

   2. Nothing, so I attempt an install...
       [root@Zeke mysql]# rpm -i MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1.i386.rpm

       Giving mysqld a couple of seconds to restart
       var/tmp/rpm-tmp.34280: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql: No such file or directory

   QUESTIONS
   1. Why is the mysql start/stop script missing?
   2. In addition, OTHER FILES are missing, as compared to the
      tar/gzip binary:
        mysql-max-3.23.52-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz

   Thanks in advance.

   /AL

 >How-To-Repeat:
         1.  Download the Intel Linux RPM file: MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1.i386.rpm
         2.  su as root
         3.  rpm -i MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1.i386.rpm
         4.  See the error
           /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql: No such file or directory

 >Fix:
         BETTER FIX:
         1. Re-build the rpm file for MySQL-Max-3.23.52
         2. While you guys are at it, provide the rpm for the other
            modules (ask RedHat for help on this, if necessary).

         If you want me to do some of the work, I'll volunteer the time.
         ... Just give me some RH linux box to login to. ... I have
         only 1 box at home, which I use to support my consulting
     clients, so I can't fool around with the box too much.

         WORKAROUND:
         1.  Install the RPM file, in spite of its problems:
                         MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1.i386.rpm

         2.  Install tar/gzip file:
                         mysql-max-3.23.52-pc-linux-gnu-i686.tar.gz
         ...This way, other rpm files that depend on MySQL-Max-3.23.52-1
         won't have problems (assuming that they are properly installed).

At 11:04 PM 10/3/2002 -0400, John Coder wrote:
>Max is a server.
>your install directory out of an RPM should be /var/lib/mysql if you are
>root su to root and see if it's there. It should tell you this in
>/usr/share/doc/packages/Mysql
>thwere's a manual there or it should be.
>
>John Coder
>On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 21:55, Chris Becker wrote:
> > Thanks Praveen,
> >
> > So Max is not a server version, it sure is difficult to determine that on
> > the download page:
> >
> > MySQL database server & standard clients:
> > ·       MySQL 3.23 -- Stable release (recommended) latest version is
> 3.23.52
> > ·       ·       3.23 -- Default package (use this if you are unsure)
> > ·       ·       3.23 Max -- Package with maximum features
> >
> > Should I now download 3.23 (Default pkg) and run the rpm, how will this
> > affect what happened on my server below? Is there a way to un-install the
> > client and Max? Or should I just install 3.23 and all will be better?
> >
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Chris
> >

> > At 06:23 PM 10/3/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >Where is the Mysql-server version. you have installed
> > >only client and mysql-max, but no mysql-server. Use
> > >rpm -Uvh for your installations, so that you can
> > >easily know the progress of installation.
> > >
> > >regards,
> > >Praveen

> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > Chris Becker