45 seconds to create 120 000 MyISAM table char rows?

Thats a pretty nifty speed. PHP have a considerable overhead compared to new
versions of Java. (I use both languages... I prefer PHP for webpage
generation, but Java for serverside applications)

I am hesitant to dig into C++ just to solve this problem, so I am as far as
possible trying to solve the performance issues within Java and MySQL. I
will probably rewrite the code countless of times just to see if I can do
it, and last resort would be C++.

In this case I believe MySQL will be faster to use than i.e. making an Array
of 200 000 entries, and do manual searches. (Somebody prove me wrong, but I
believe the MySQL crew have far better preferences to make a
query-search-update system than I have  preferences to make a huge Array to
serve the same purpose, right?)

If the MySQL database can create a HEAP table with only numbers stored
directly in memory, and do a recursive search with 10 subqueries for every 1
record query (200 000 records in all) within 1 minute, then I'll be happy :)

The remaining 1 minute I'll permit for Java and system overhead :)

Cheers
Rob.