Greetings,

        We're experiencing some severe problems with MySQL and I'm at a loss as
to what to look at ...  It seems we've encountered some sort of a loop
but I'm not sure what's causing it.  The system will run fine for a
while and then begin using 100% cpu on both processors in the system.

        We've spent several days trying to track it down and I believe we may
have found the process responsible, but I haven't seen anything at all
in that process that's suspect.  It's a fairly simple perl script that
generates some email addresses via the db.  It has to use several
different db's to do so, but again, I can't see it putting a lot of load
on the system doing this.

        Can anyone help me pinpoint this problem?  It's causing the entire DB
to run extremely slow and because of this we sometimes lose data.
Killing and restarting the DB speeds it back up, but I believe this is
because it kills those DB connections and the processes fail.

The system is a Dell PowerEdge 2650
Dual 1.4 Ghz Intel P3 Processors
512 Meg RAM
MySQL 3.23.52
RedHat Linux 7.3
Hardware Raid 5
The DB partition is 4 GB, only 300 Meg used.
Overall, the HD's are less than 50% full.

Any help or suggestions are gladly welcome!

Thanks,

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold