I am having a problem getting any kind of remote connections.  Connections
to localhost work just fine.

It doesn't matter which mysql client I use or if I just attempt to telnet
to port 3306, the result is the same.  The server restarts.

The log reports this;

Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 11951 - killed
021007 22:39:19  mysqld restarted
021007 22:39:19  InnoDB: Started
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

When attempting a connection using telnet to port 3306 I get connection
refused.

If I attempt to connect using a mysql client I get;
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

The platform is Linux 7.3
Installed RPMs are;
mysqlclient9-3.23.22-6
mysql-server-3.23.49-3