<snip>

> not a sum of all of the firsts. What I do want is a sum of
> all of the numbers in column 5 where the date is after a
> certain date, column 3 has "done" in it, and the url matches
> a regular expression mysql.
>
> How do I do that?

SELECT SUM(column5) FROM readdata WHERE processdate > '2002-8-31' AND
column3 = 'done' AND url REGEXP 'mysql';

Don't include column5 in your query.

SUM() summarises a group of data by adding up its totals.  If you
include column5 outside SUM() in your query you are breaking up your
results into one entry for each entry that matches the conditions of the
WHERE statement.  SUM is still doing its job correctly, but will only be
adding together 1 number, which is why SUM(column5) = column5.  Does
that make sense??

L.