We found the same thing, after installing the glibc auto-rpm from Redhat.

The updated glibc packages from Red Hat will whack your
/etc/nsswitch.conf file.  That is, it will mess with the order of how
things are searched for.

We noticed this with mysql not being able resolve remote server IPs.
Removing any reference to 'nisplus' in nsswitch.conf helped this problem
on RH7.1 (glib2.2.4) systems.

Another, related problem that only appears on RH7.3 (glibc2.2.5) was
remedied by putting 'dns' at the front of any list of methods that
require reverse-dns lookups (i.e. "hosts:    dns files nis").

We downloaded the MySql pre-built 3.23.52, and that solved the problem.