>From: Paul DuBois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>At 12:58 +0200 10/10/02, Alex Polite wrote:
>>Is there any way I could display a MySQL database as a filesystem
>>under Linux?
>
>What does that mean?

There's a long (though obscure) history of using database-like engines as filesystems.
There are considerable advantages, such as user-defined file metadata, journalling,
simple to implement automatic version control, super-fast searching, etc, that would
make this attractive to many folks.

I believe the Pick operating system from the 70's had a database filesystem, for
example. It was popular among business types. As I recall, it also had a BASIC command
interpreter as its primary way of interacting with the system.

Today's "modern" operating systems really stopped evolving in the 80's. Many ideas
like database filesystems never really got a chance to show their utility.

I agree that it would be interesting to slide MySQL under a filesystem, but it sounds
like a lot of work!

---- SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL SQL  ----

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature photography: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>