Hi,

Lots of people will end up wanting to forget about the terminal part of your
question and just say MS Access.
I would not love to have to deal with a large number of people using Access,
even with mySQL behind it.

Maybe you can find something that uses the ncurser lib? That would be my
first suggestion. One thing about your question, it makes me think also of
all of the, well just use the web people. That is simple right? But then how
much crap goes behind making a decent interface for the web and also running
it on computers that are new enough to support it. A ncurser type system
would be able to run until the hardware dies.
However, when I look at things like
http://search.cpan.org/author/WPS/Curses-1.06/Curses.pm I see a lot of
problems and more complexity that I would have hoped for. It makes me think
of AS/400's and the fact that that simple looking green screen, isn't really
so simple, and it is VERY limiting in that it will be harder to find people
to work on the interface, than if you had used HTML.
Maybe some good old HTML 1.1 and Lynx would do what you need?

Eric

mysql sql blah blah... Stupid filters.

At 10:55 PM 10/13/02 -0400, Chip Rose wrote:
>Are there ANY MySQL terminal-based frontends (for Linux) that will allow
>inputting data via forms, queries,reports?  There are a lot of
>administration tools - that's not what I want.  How do I set something
>up for inputting and simple queries that takes advantage of the
>*relational* database?  The things I've seen all look like flat-file
>stuff.
>
>How do most people input and display their data?  Doing it via a
>terminal, the output is skewed and doesn't line up because too much info
>on a line, etc.
>
>I see programs that the banks use, that OfficeMax uses, my car repair
>place - they all input data and have displays all set up on their
>computers - simple terminal apps of some kind.  Just a simple terminal
>based program like that would do.  I thought about PHP/Apache, but is
>there anything other than that?  I want to set up a database and *easy*
>interface for a multi-faceted client history transaction tracker.
>
>Help/Thanks!
>
>Chip Rose

(250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)

"Inquiry is fatal to certainty." -- Will Durant