On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Alberto Ruiz Cristina wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am new to MySql and I am thinking about using it for managing a
> database, which would have a approximated length of 500 Mb. It is formed
> of vectors.
>
> Trouble is that I am worried about the ability of MySql to handle that
> amount of data.

Hi,

Honestly speaking, 500 mb of almost _any_ data is nothing for MySQL. It can
handle even several hundreds of gigabytes of data, assuming it is well
organized and the queries are optimized.

> Do you know about any article or study about MySql efficiency? If not,
> maybe you can just tell me your own experience.

My own experience is limited to fairly small systems, but I guess that for
example, Mr. Jeremy Zawodny (an active participant on this list) could tell
more about using MySQL in _really_ high-loaded systems. See any of his
signatures for examples.. ;-) Quite impressive numbers, there.

Anyway, MySQL efficiency is awesome. If you don't really require transaction
support in your application, consider using MyISAM as your table handler.

Best regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *