I am about to setup the following server layout using all Windows 2000
Server and XP Pro machines.

Master Server-----|
                  |------Branch Office Server -----|
                  |                                |- Machine 1
                  |                                |    ...
                  |                                |- Machine N

                  |------Second Branch Office -----|
                                                   |- Machine 1
                                                   |- Machine N

Objective:  Client needs to have read access to the data even if the
local lan goes down, so we
Are going to put a local copy of mysql on each desktop machine that is a
slave to the branch office
Server.  Updates will always go to the master server when the Master
server is available.  (We have
A way to deal with saving when the Master is not available)

Baically the branch offices are slaves to the master and the
workstations will slave to the branch office server.

I have the choice right now of using either MySQL 3.23 series or MySQL
4.0x series.

This will be deployed in just over a week so the path with the least
replication issues is the best
One for me.  Keep in mind that the workstations may be shutdown nightly.
Can't control all the users;-)

Thanks in advance

Ross

PS the link from the master to the branch offices is a 10MB/Second
wireless link that is just being installed
And hopefully reliable.