I'm running MySQL 3.23.37 on a RedHat 6.2 with a custom 2.2.22 kernel.
Recently I stopped being able to connect from a remote client, with a
"mysqld process hanging" message in the log and a "lost connection"
message on the client, and I found in the archives that this is
probably due a recent update of glibc.

I tried to install 3.23.53, to see whether this might correct the
problem; however, whenever I try to start the server using
"mysql.server start", the server starts and then dies immediately,
writing the following message in the log file:
  Fatal error: Can't change to run as user 'mysql'; Please check that
  the user exists!
Needless to say the user does exist; when I change
/usr/local/mysql, which is a symbolic link, to point to my old 3.23.37
directory rather than 3.23.53, the same mysql.server file works fine
(the data directory is elsewhere, at /home/mysql).

Do you know if 3.23.53 might correct the "mysqld process hanging"
problem? And could you help me with the upgrade anyway? Thank you!