Ed,

Its slightly difficult doing it exactly as my email is on my W2K laptop -
but here goes:

error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

If I run mysqld, I get an error:

Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: Permission denied
Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?

Please un-stump me.

Stumped

George