I have a table named projects. Within that table, one specific column is
called costing and is of the following schema (projects float(8,2)). Nothing
fancy. The interface that updates information to this table where the column
(projects) resides in via a php web script. Within that script it is
optional to the user as to whether they want to insert costing information
at this time. The problem lies with what mysql does at that point. If the
user provides no cost info, it simply inserts a default value of "0.00".
Thus when a query like (select * from projects) is executed, the costing
column shows "0.00". I would rather it come up blank than show "0.00". I've
tried everything I can think of to insert a NULL into that column but my
syntax must be wrong. 2 questions:
1) What is a syntax example for inserting a NULL into a column?
2) If a NULL is inserted into a column with a float type, does that NULL
show up as anything else other than NULL? Like my 0.00 for example. Is that
actually mysql's way of showing a NULL for that data type?