On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 03:41:24PM -0700, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Any help downgrading my MySQL Server from 4.0.0.0ALPHA to 3.23 would be a
> huge help.  I'm not sure where to start.  Do I need to save records to a
> flat file and then reimport them?

I'm not sure if this is the right answer, but under gentoo I've moved
from 3.x to 4.0.x and back again with no changes to the database,
re-importing, or anything, I just installed the new mysql and restarted
it.  If I'd *thought* before doing this I would have doing a "mysqldump
-c --all-databases" first, but I didn't :)  Lucky for me nothing
happened!  YMMV of course, but I'd probably suggest just doing a
mysqldump to make sure you have your data safe, and then just switch
binaries.

Depending on the OS you're running and the packaging system you're using
you may have to worry about it deleting /var/lib/mysql when you
uninstall the old package, but I'd hope that package maintainers
wouldn't just nuke a db directory without warning :)

alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I