Gavin,

GL> I have a mysql database (version 3.23.47) running on a virtual server.

GL> I have taken the running over from someone else and have been having trouble
GL> with database permissions. To combat this I bypassed passwords by creating a
GL> my.cnf file. I then have deleted all records in the mysql.user table and am
GL> starting afresh.

Deleteting all records from privilege table is not the best way to avoid
"access denied" problem.

GL> How is the best way to reconstruct this table?

Add users again. Or what you mean "reconstruct"?

GL> Can I add admin@localhost and
GL> say a webmaster with access from anywhere?

Yes. "%" in the Host field means any host:
     http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Request_access.html

GL> I have looked everywhere for a security guide, can any one point me in the
GL> direction of good practice documents?

In the MySQL manual there are enough info about how MySQL privilege
system works, how to add new user, change passwords, add/revoke
privileges:
           http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Privilege_system.html
           http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/User_Account_Management.html

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/?ref=ma02-010c
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko