Mark Jaffe wrote:

I've inherited an existing system and am attempting to do some admin tasks. I can't get access as root, and no one seems to know anything about the system. I've just modified the /usr/local/mysql/data/my.cnf (that's what 'ps -aef' shows mysqld is using) with a password and I still get this:
> mysql -u root -p bonsai
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Is bonsai the password?
If so, there should be no space between the -p and the bonsai.
If not, and you don't know the password, follow the directions in the manual
for "I forgot the password".