Hi-

I don't know if this is a bug (I'm pretty new at mysql),
but I figured I would fill out the report anyway. I don't know how to answer some of
the questions, but did my best.

I have looked in the manual, searched the list archives,
and am using 4.0.4-beta-max-nt on Win2000.

Whenever I perform a match against the word "best" [and,
interestingly, only the word best by itself, because (+best +friends) and (friends
best) both DO work] using
match against, I get an empty set. If I use like '%best%'the correct records are found.

How-To-Repeat:
        CREATE TABLE booleanbug (
   id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
   name char(40) NOT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

#
# Dumping data for table 'booleanbug'
#

INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '1', 'Best in Show');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '2', 'Star Wars');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '3', 'Hannah and Her Sisters');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '4', 'Best Friends');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '5', 'Office Space');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '6', 'The Professional');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '7', 'Terms of Endearment');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '8', 'Father Knows Best');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '9', 'The Flamingo Kid');
INSERT INTO booleanbug VALUES ( '10', 'Repo Man');

CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX name on booleanbug(name);

select id, name from booleanbug where match(name) against ('best');

select id, name from booleanbug where match(name) against ('+best IN
BOOLEAN MODE');

#[BOTH OF THE ABOVE SELECTS RESULT IN EMPTY SETS]

select id, name from booleanbug where match(name) against ('+best
+friends IN BOOLEAN MODE');

select id, name from booleanbug where match(name) against ('wars');

select id, name from booleanbug where name like '%best%';

#[ALL 3 OF THE ABOVE SELECTS WORK]
# NOTE - I called the test case table booleanbug,
# but have since realized it's not just a boolean
# problem. For some reason " match against ('best') "
# doesn't work for me, boolean or not.

Fix: no idea
Synopsis:       match against ('best') doesn't work
Submitter-Id:   ?
Originator:     Michael Nolan
Category:       mysqld (I think)
Class:          sw-bug (?)
Release:

mysqladmin  Ver 8.37 Distrib 4.0.4-beta, for Win95/Win98 on i32
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version          4.0.4-beta-max-nt
Protocol version        10
Connection              localhost via TCP/IP
TCP port                3306
Uptime:                 4 hours 37 min 16 sec

Threads: 2  Questions: 1927  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 32  Flush tables:
1  Open t
ables: 0  Queries per second avg: 0.116

Exectutable:   mysqld-nt (?)
Environment:   Desktop with 256MB RAM
System:        Win2000 5.00.2195 Service Pack 2
Compiler:      (?)
Architecture:  (?)

Please let me know if I should post this to the bugs list.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Nolan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]