CM Miller wrote:

Very new to MySQL and I've done a search on
google.com, but really couldn't find the answer that I
am looking for.

Where should I install MySQL?  I'm running RH 7.3 and
I've installed the tgz file under my directory
/home/CMMiller, is this right, or anywhere else?  I
see it is also under /usr/share.

Do as the readme says - unpack the distribution and follow instructions. Standard location for mysql distribution is /usr/local/mysql from which you should make symlinks to /usr/loca/bin etc. You can put your data files pretty much everywhere but be very careful about permissions (some directories should be wriable by root only, some has to be writable by mysql user - read error nessages if in doubt and pay attention to security issues). Test your setup by starting the daemon manually specifying installation directory, data directory and user (-u mysql). Then put a service file in /etc/init.d and make symlinks to appropriate /etc/rc.d directories.

how do I login
once I get it up and going, or change passwords, or do
basic admin work?
There is a text client called 'mysql' :-) Check it out.

HTH,
Max