At 16:04 -0700 10/21/02, Jimmy Vo wrote:
Hi,
I have a need to store many languages (Japanese, Korean, Spanish, English..)
in the same mysql db.  I also need to search for these strings to see if
they are already in the db for updates.  Of course, this is a problem since
the charset setting drives the logic for searching.  I've browsed over posts
about problems with sorting/searching mixed Japanese/English/other
languages.

Is the only option available to me is to preprocess these strings into
something (Unicode ?) before storing and searching for them in the DB.

Thanks.

Jimmy Vo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you're talking about storing different languages in different columns,
you'll be able to do this easily in MySQL 4.1.  If you're talking about
storing values from different languages in the same column, then you won't
be able to do that unless you convert the values to a common encoding
first. Unicode would be an option for this.