I am trying to parse an email log database with about 900,000 records for records
older than 2 days (ie 600,000 records).

I make a dbi connection and select all records older than 2 days.  It returns the rows.

Now I step through each row with a while loop, and if the entry is a virus, i open a
new dbi connect and store it in the virus table (update if it's already there).  Then
I disconnect that dbi call.

Continuing on, I take each entry and update the overall_stats table, based on the date
the email was received.. So if I receive 100,00 emails on 10-24-2002, then instead of
having 100,000 log entries I condense it down to 1 entry in the stats table. Each
entry in the overall_stats would be a single day, so that would mean I would have no
more than 365 records there a year...

month,day,year,total_emails,total_spam,total_virus,total_bytes

After updating or inserting into the stats table, I close the dbi call, and process
the next email log record.

This goes on fine for about 19,000-21,000 records... then all of a sudden it dies..
Output of the perl script is here....

Updating Record 19700 in stats table
Update _W32/Klez.H@mm to 1767 Virus table
Update _W32/Klez.H@mm to 1768 Virus table
Update _W32/Klez.H@mm to 1769 Virus table
DBI->connect(logs:mail1:3306) failed: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mail1' (99) at
./parse_sql line 123
Can't call method "prepare" on an undefined value at ./parse_sql line 124.
Cannot connect to database

Running this script over and over will produce different results on the record is
stops on.   line 122 creates the dbi connect, line 123 calls the prepare function on
the query, which obviously fails because dbi thinks the database has gone away??
That's what I assume, but I cant figure out how to fix it.  As soon as the script dies
saying cant connect, I type mysql and get right into the db.

I am sth->finish() and dbh->disconnect() on all my queries, except for the first one
that pulls all 600,000 rows that i step through, so I dont see that would be a
problem.  Box is a dual p3, 2gig ram, 72gig SCSI RAID 5.

Lookin for ideas here!  Thanks for any help.

Dallas Engelken
NMGI