In case anyone has done this before, I'd appreciate any tips for
 optimizing a link analysis application , e.g in its simplest form if we have
one or more tables of the form
A    B
===================
a1  b1
a2   b1
a3  b2
a1  b4
a4  b1
a5  b3
a6  b2
b1   b3
b3   a2

are there any  tips for optimizing queries of the type:
1) for each  ai find all bjs connected to it and for each  of them  figuring
in the 'A' collumn find  bm's connected to them ,i.e.
a1->([b1->b3, b4)
a2->(b1->b3) etc

2) same, except that this will be done on selected  ai matching other criteria
and not all entries.
Any tips for optimization?(I assume this  should not be done with pure sql
statements).

Thanks,
S.Alexiou