Howdy,

I've used MySQL before, a few years ago, under Slackware.  I never could get it to
compile (despite
lots of help from folks here), but a pre-rolled binary did just fine for what I needed
at the time.
That system is no longer hooked up.

I've recently installed a newer version of Slack (7.0 I believe) which comes with
MySQL in it, but I
can't get mysqld to run either on its own or (preferably) with safe_mysqld.

It appears that all the scripts are in /usr/bin/, mysqld is in /usr/libexec/ and the
data files are off
of /var/lib/mysql/.

I did do mysql_install_db, but, when I try to use safe_mysqld &, it says that it's
starting, and then
it says that it's done.  When I look in /var/lib/mysql/ there is a .err file that says
"/usr/libexec/mysqld Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)".  It's very
insistant about this,
btw -- I've checked several times, and that's all that it has to say about that.

The manual says that errno: 13 means we've got a permission problem, but I've tried
chmod to the
/var/lib/mysql/ and /var/lib/mysql/mysql/ directories and their contents, and that
doesn't seem to make
anybody happier.

So, for you folks I've seen in the archive saying how Slack rocks (with which I
agree), a hand would be
appreciated.

Additional data in case it's handy:

mysqlaccess indicates that this is:
$VERSION        = "2.06, 20 Dec 2000";
and
$SERVER = "3.21"

Any other information you can tell me how to find out for you will be given on
request, but I may ask
for commonly used words to be defined or clarified because I'm not all that great with
this stuff.

TIA,
Blain

--