Thank you all for your suggestions.  In response to an off-list suggestion, I decided
to not use the
default installation, and to try recompiling after deleting the initial package.

And it barfs on compile right at the point of "this is going to take a while, if it
barfs, try configure
--with-low-memory" and I did and it barfed right there again.  So I'm going to, for
now, use the
prerolled binary, and then, when I throw more ram in the beast, try compiling again.
(my gcc version
was in the range recommended, as is make, so I don't know what the problem is, but I
never do)

So thanks for your suggestions.  I may be back with other simple questions while I get
set up again.

Take care,
Blain

PS, for the bot: MySQL, SQL, query