On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
>       I am learning MySql and was going through the manual.html in the
> /usr/share/doc/mysql.../Docs/  I know SQL already and made some
> changes to the user table of mysql database. The server is running but I
> cant get a privileged access.
>       I changed password=y for root user. Now the hostname.err (in my
> case munshi.err) says that

Hi,

On SQL level, one should change his/her password by using the PASSWORD()
function. Like this: UPDATE USER SET password=PASSWORD('blah')
WHERE user='root';
Not sure how you changed it, but this is the better way. Then FLUSH
PRIVILEGES; See below for a solution for your problem. :-)

> 021026 13:03:43  mysqld started
> 021026 13:03:44  Found invalid password for user: 'root@localhost';
> Ignoring user
> 021026 13:03:44  Found invalid password for user:
>
>       I guess that I need to change the password somewhere, but I cant
> access the mysql databsae,
>       Thanks in advance.

Start mysqld with --skip-grant-tables and reset your passwords.

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *