I am having some difficulty with users using su and
trying to access mysql, either through the command
line (mysql) or via perl programs using DBD.

Under normal circumstances users are able to use the
command line tool mysql or run perl programs using
DBD.  They usually use $HOME/.my.cnf for password
information.

However if user1 "su" to user2 mysql tries to
authenticate the original user (user1), not the one
"su" to (user2).  Both the original user
(user1) and the "su" user (user2) have
$HOME/.my.cnf so passwords are not needed, but the
program abends saying the user tried to access mysql
but didn't provide a password.

The system is running:
Linux 2.2.19
mysql  Ver 11.15 Distrib 3.23.39, for
slackware-linux-gnu (i386)

Any suggestions to remedy this problem would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.