Hi Wim,

I'm no expert with compilers and mysql either, but I have gotten mysql
to compile sucessfully on Solaris 9 using gcc 2.95.2.
If you look at http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html , in the
source code download section, you'll see that they recommend using the
compiler gcc-2.95.2, however they still offer instructions for building
with other version of gcc.
So, I used gcc-2.95.2 and the 3.23.52 source code (it appears they've
got 3.23.53 up now).

I did the following for configuring:
setenv CC gcc
setenv CFLAGS "-O3"
setenv CXX gcc
setenv CXXFLAGS "-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql3.23.52 --with-low-memory
--with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-assembler --with-libwrap

gmake

(The --with-libwrap is to provide tcp-wrapper support, which is the
whole reason I'm using source code.  The binaries don't come with this
support).

If you'd like to build with other versions of gcc you can find build
instructions for different platfroms at:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/MySQL_binaries.html
unforntuantely, they don't have Solaris 9.....

It compiled fine, and installed fine.  However,  I'm having problems
running all the tests.  They don't fail, they just hang, although I'm
able to use mysql normally.  I'm curently looking into why these test
cases are hanging.

I hope this helps some.

Stephen