There are two ways to do backups.
1.  Backup the files themselves.
2. Use mysqldump to dump the data into a text file which can be read in
by MySQL.
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/mysqldump.html

We have a database of about 300M it takes 2-3 minutes to do a complete
mysqldump of the data.  I would recommend, though, saving your larger
tables to a separate file to make the import(if you ever need to do it)
go faster.

Scott Pippin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> "GAY Samuel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/30/02 12:21AM >>>
Hi,

Shut your database down, backup all files, and restart it....

If you use InnoDB you can do a hot backup like Oracle (the
implementation of InnoDB is near of Oracle), but it's not free. I can't
say more about this, but it's in the documentation about InnoDB.

You can also keep a differential between two backup (in case the last
backup is corrupted) using binary log of MySQL (use --log-bin at
startup). I just begin to test it...

To do a backup of all you database(s) you can use mysqldump. The dump
contains "create datase, table, ..." and "insert ..." orders.

Being beginner, I'm also interested about backup stuff, I hope somebody
will complete my post.

Sam.