From: Lars Andersson [mailto:lars@;rockar.nu]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 11:36 AM
To: gerald_clark
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: mysql fills the disk with temporary files?

Is there any way to put a limit on the size of temporary tables? Or is
it possible for my users to put the server down just by creating some
kind of big cartesian product as a result of a big join?

The server is used in an production environment and it would be a great
releaf if there is some way I can stop the users from filling up the
disks.

-- lars

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, gerald_clark wrote:

> You may have a malformed join that is giving you a very large result set.
> These would be the temporary tables.
>
> Lars Andersson wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I manage a mysql server with a few hundred users. All of a sudden mysql
> >has started to put large files in /tmp
> >
> >I've never noticed this behavior before. The files looks like this
> >
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql    3788431360 Oct 31 17:49
#sql420e_36b82b_1.MYD
> >-rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        1024 Oct 31 17:39
#sql420e_36b82b_1.MYI