There is a "primary key" which is not the main order to access rows.

What I am emulating is a large memory space and the "primary key" is just
used not to duplicate rows.

In the current DB I use, I simply use the row number as my "memory pointer".
Since rows are fixed length, it should be a straightforward matter to point
to the right one and not require a rowid and key.

mySQL must have an internal mean of referencing rows and that is what I'd
like to use.

I know there are limitations to the approach such as not issuing an ALTER
... ORDER BY ... but that won't be more necessary than changing an address
on a memory stick ...