Hi,

I'm having some real problems figuring out a seemingly simple join
statement.  I've looked through some of the mailing list posts, but I can't
seem to find what I'm looking for.  Here's what I have - 2 tables:

table1 (id, stimulus_number, stimulus_type)
table 2 (id, stimulus_number, stimulus_type)

Basically, all I want to do is to determine how many matches there are,
where the stimulus_number & stimulus_type are the same in both tables, based
on a certain id.  Here's a verbose example:

table 1: contains 2 entries for id=2
  --> stimulus_number=23, stimulus_type='word'
  --> stimulus_number=34, stimulus_type='image'

table 2: contains 2 entries for id=2
  --> stimulus_number=23, stimulus_type='word'
  --> stimulus_number=34, stimulus_type='word'

The desired result, should display the following:
  --> 23, word
... since that was the only entry that was common to both tables, for id=2
... note, both stimulus_number & stimulus_type have to match in both tables
(not just one or the other).

Here's what I've tried:
  --> select distinct a.stimulus_number, a.stimlus_type
           from table_1 as a
           left join table_2 as b
           on a.stimulus_type=b.stimulus_type
             and a.stimulus_number=b.stimulus_number
           where id=2;

... this looked ok to me, but it spits out any results that have common
stimulus_numbers, OR common stimulus_types.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Ken

(sql)