On Tuesday, November 5, 2002, at 10:40  am, Mark S Lowe wrote:

So I have a beautiful installation of mySQL. I now need to open the pipe to my 3306 port to the outside world directly. When I have people ping my IP, they get a restricted bounce error message. I assume there is a configuration file that needs to be backed off, but I can't seem to find anything anywhere.
A failed ping does not necessarily mean a MySQL client cannot connect.

What happens when you try to connect using the MySQL command-line client from another computer inside your network? If that works, and connecting from outside the network does not work, then probably something else is blocking access to port 3306 for the outside world.

And if your router is doing NAT, have you mapped your external public:3306 to the private internal:3306 ?

David B.