Hi all-
  I would like to use a mySQL table as a huge FIFO queue (too big for a
hash) in a
Perl program.  However, I am worried about speed.  A standard way to get
an
item off the queue would be to issue a SELECT statement sorted on the
and then to just make one call to a row-fetching method (such as
fetchrow_array() ).
(I don't want to iterate through the entire result, because there will
be many
inserts to the queue in the meantime.)  My worry is that executing a
SELECT
statement sorted on the index every time I want to shift an item off the
queue
will be too slow.  Is there a simple and fast alternative for taking the
first
row off of a table?  Thanks.