Philipp Steinkrueger wrote:

if you dont understand the language mysql is written in you
are probably not interested in "how" it works, technically. this

I've actually had any number of people ask me how to do things that they think they can understand without knowing anything about programming. Like how to design a search engine (knowing nothing about programming or databases) or how NTFS works (knowing nothing about disk storage beyond the fact that there are icons to represent files and 'folders'), etc. I answered as I did, as you probably noted :-), because if the poster doesn't understand C, there's not much point in answering the intent of the question at all.

FWIW (to everyone else), I'm a C/C++/PERL/Python/bah/foo/bar programmer and I probably wouldn't delve into how MySQL handles the setup for a query in the source code unless I had a pencil and paper handy and felt like using Ctrl-] a lot ... (I use vim).

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.