Jeremy,

I'm not a C/C++ coder so couldn't really help unless a binary was available.

At the same time, I understand that you'd be wasting your time building
binaries unless you were happy that the code was at a certain level of
completion (with regard to 4.1 specific features).

Your call. If a 4.1 binary was available then I'd spend time testing it with
a J2EE app under JBoss on Windows XP -- otherwise i'll just have to wait.

95% of the subselects I do are simple correlated subqueries like this:

select <columns>
from tableA
where exists (
    select 1