Hi

according to this link... 4.1 will have stored procedures

http://www.mysql.com/products/mysql-4.0/index.html

Rich

 >>  With the efficiency comment below, I was using the strategy that I'd
 >>  prefer
 >>  to wait for 4.1's impending (?) release rather than rewrite SQL in a
 >>  workaround way. It's a tradeoff based on our specific project and relating
 >>  to time factors, etc, and the amount of SQL I'd have to rewrite.

 >>  Yes i'm sure the hurdle could be overcome but I'd rather hold back on
 >>  MySql
 >>  support until subselect functionality is ready.

 >>  Typically, database vendors seem to recommend using EXISTS because the
 >>  query
 >>  returns on finding the first row that meets whatever the subselect
 >>  criteria
 >>  is.

 >>  Do those people working on 4.1 anticipate the performance of the MySql sub
 >>  select functionality to be better than an equivalent query written as a
 >>  join? I guess any answer to this should also include consideration of
 >>  sometimes putting DISTINCT in the select statement.

 >>  Thanks a lot,
 >>  Greg.

Regards,

Richard Morton
Quantum Communications
+44 (0) 7899 750400

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.quantum-comms.com

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
Quantum Communications and is intended for the recipient(s) named above only.
If received in error please notify the sender and destroy the original
message and attachments. Emails may be monitored or recorded. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the e-mail and/or any
attachment is virus free. The views expressed by the author may not reflect
the views of Quantum Communications Limited.