You might need to use rpm -e to uninstall previous version first.

Check  the documentation.

~Kelly W. Black

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Root [mailto:rroot@;wakeinternet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 10:47 AM
To: mysql
Subject: Upgrading MySQL from 3.23.41 to 3.23.53a

I would like to upgrade MySQL to the latest production release
(3.23.53a) from my current 3.23.41

I have the following packages installed already:

mysql-devel-3.23.41-1
mysqlclient9-3.23.22-6
mysql-3.23.41-1
mysql-server-3.23.41-1

What do I need to do in order to upgrade to the newest version?  I tried
using the RPM facility to install and upgrade the new packages I just
downloaded but I get conflicts... ie...

[root@frodo MySQL]# rpm --install MySQL-3.23.53a-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
         MySQL conflicts with mysql-3.23.41-1
         MySQL-server conflicts with mysql-server-3.23.41-1
[root@frodo MySQL]# rpm -U MySQL-3.23.53a-1.i386.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
         MySQL-server conflicts with mysql-server-3.23.41-1
         libmysqlclient.so.10   is needed by mysql-server-3.23.41-1
         libmysqlclient.so.10   is needed by perl-DBD-MySQL-1.2216-4
[root@frodo MySQL]#

So what should I do?  Do I need to actually remove the old MySQL first
and then install the new one?

  - Rick Root