Hi All,

We are about to embark on a project that requires data encryption - mainly
to stop sensitive information being viewed accidentally (ie viewing tables
directly through odbc connections or standard mysql clients). The server
(solaris) will not be publicly accessible. Mysql has a variety of
encrypt/decrypt functions for use within queries which fit the purpose...
>From reading the manual my impressions of the various functions are:

ENCODE() / DECODE()
+ encrypted data size remains the same.
- encryption key must be passed with each query/connection, hence must be
contained within the client
- How strong is it?

AES_ENCRYPT() / AES_DECRYPT()
+ considered most secure by MySql AB.
+ 128 bit
- encrypted data is larger
- encryption key must be passed with each query/connection, hence must be
contained within the client

DES_ENCRYPT() / DES_DECRYPT()
+ encryption key can be read from a server-side file or passed with each
query/connection.
- 56 bit
- encrypted data is larger
- MySql must be compiled with SSL support

>From this I'm leaning towards DES encryption - only because I can store the
key on the server.
(Why can't I do the same with AES???)

I would appreciate any experiences (good or bad) you've had with any of
them.

Thanks in advance,
Fraser

 Fraser Stuart
 Logistics IT

 77-85                    Phone: +61 2 9335 1235
 Roberts Rd              Mobile: +61 419 233 732
 Greenacre NSW         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Australia 2190                  www.toll.com.au