An update to my earlier post. I'm getting a bit closer but still not there.
In the following query:

select decheader.code, decheader.height, decheader.width,
decplacement.position, decplacement.product
from decheader left join decplacement on decheader.code = decplacement.code
and
(decheader.code = '000042' and (decplacement.product = 'PLS159' or
decplacement.product is null)) or
(decheader.code = '000043' and (decplacement.product = 'SWS002' or
decplacement.product is null)) or
(decheader.code = '000137' and (decplacement.product = 'PLS150' or
decplacement.product is null)) or
(decheader.code = '000042' and (decplacement.product = 'PLS150' or
decplacement.product is null))
 where decheader.code = '000042' or decheader.code = '000043' or
decheader.code = '000137' or decheader.code = '000042'

In the above example, 3 records are returned with correct values. Code
000042 does not have an associated product of PLS150 and does not return a
record with Null values for the decplacement table as I want it to do.
Basically, the code I query on will always exist in the decheader table. It
may or may not exist in the decplacement table and subsequently it may or
may not have a corresponding product. I need a record back for each
code/product combination even if the record only has the details from the
decheader table. I should also add that decheader.code = '000042' is in
twice in the where clause because I build the sql string dynamically?? I
understand why my query does not work, but I need to know more about joins
to resolve my issue.

This e-mail is intended for the recipient only and
may contain confidential information. If you are
not the intended recipient then you should reply
to the sender and take no further ation based
upon the content of the message.
Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure and
CCM Limited does not accept any responsibility
for changes made to this message.
Although checks have been made to ensure this
message and any attchments are free from viruses
the recipient should ensure that this is the case.