Well, it seems there are some glitches with and snags and other fun
stuff to deal with when doing a straight RedHat 8.0 install. It turns
out you have to edit your /etc/php.ini and uncomment out the
"extension=mysql.so" line for starters. It also helps to set
"short_open_tag = On".

Another fun thing to contend with is the fact that "register_globals" is
now off by default, soooo, read this page:
http://www.zend.com/zend/art/art-sweat4.php to see how to get around
this (without turning RG on of course).

I have some sites that use .php and some that use .phtml and you'd think
it would be as simple as modifying /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf, dupe the
entry and change the extension. Wrong. What I did was change it to:

<FilesMatch "\.(php|phtml|phps|php4|php3)$">
    SetOutputFilter PHP
    SetInputFilter PHP
    LimitRequestBody 524288
</FilesMatch>
DirectoryIndex index.php index.phtml

I use virtual hosts but none use SSL currently, and haven't figured that
part out with the SSL.conf so I just renamed it to ssl.conf.disabled and
created a virtual-hosts.conf that looks like this:

<VirtualHost *>
    DocumentRoot /home/foo/public_html
    ServerName foo.com
    ServerAlias ww.foo.com *.foo.*
    ErrorLog logs/foo-error_log
    CustomLog logs/foo-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

And at the end of the httpd.conf file you have to turn VH on by
uncommenting "NameVirtualHost *" And I also added this at the bottom to
catch all that don't match with an entry in my virtual-hosts.conf file
above:

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
    DocumentRoot /var/www/html
    ServerName localhost
    ErrorLog /etc/httpd/logs/error_log
    CustomLog /etc/httpd/logs/access_log common
</VirtualHost>

I also went ahead and installed mySQL-MAX, so you need to create a
/etc/my.cnf file and put something like:

[mysqld]

# You can write your other MySQL server options here
# ...

innodb_data_home_dir=

#                                  Data file(s) must be able to
#                                  hold your data and indexes.
#                                  Make sure you have enough
#                                  free disk space.
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend

#                                  Set buffer pool size to
#                                  50 - 80 % of your computer's
#                                  memory
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=70M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=10M

#                                  Set the log file size to about
#                                  25 % of the buffer pool size
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=8M

#                                  Set ..flush_log_at_trx_commit
#                                  to 0 if you can afford losing
#                                  some last transactions
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=1

set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
#innodb_flush_method=fdatasync #set-variable =
innodb_thread_concurrency=5

skip-locking
set-variable = max_connections=200
#set-variable = read_buffer_size=1M
set-variable = sort_buffer=1M
#                                  Set key_buffer to 5 - 50%
#                                  of your RAM depending on how
#                                  much you use MyISAM tables, but
#                                  keep key_buffer + InnoDB
#                                  buffer pool size < 80% of
#                                  your RAM
set-variable = key_buffer=10M

Somehow the pretty "/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql" script has changed (probably
due to mysqlMax) I like the old one with the green [ OK ] messages like
everything else there and I'm not sure how to get it back :( but it
works for now and I have innoDB tables, so I can't complain too much.

Hope this helps someone and saves them the nearly 7 hours I've spent
today getting it all working. Most of that is sifting through a million
web pages and trying to find the magic incantation on Google to get the
solutions.

DÆVID.
http://daevid.com