Michael,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Frey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 12:49 PM
Subject: Server shuts itself down. Starting takes 10 minutes

> I've got MySql 4 on a Win98 machine.
>
> I am using a program written in VB.net on one of the databases. During
> the day, while everyone is using the program there are no problems at
> all.
>
> But at night at 11:50 the server shuts itself down. The next morning
> when I come to work, there are no errors in the .err file just a few
> messages saying that the server will now shut down and that it has
> successfully shut down.

maybe you have some timer running which shuts down mysqld?

> I then have to restart the server.
>
> There is a problem with starting the server as well. When I start the
> server using winmysqladmin it takes 10 minutes to start up. During
> that time the computer is so slow that the mouse doesn't respond. I
> havn't tried starting it up any other way.

The problem is probably the bug fixed in 4.0.5:

"
MySQL/InnoDB-4.0.5, November 18, 2002
Fixed a bug present in 3.23.52, 4.0.3, 4.0.4: InnoDB startup could take very
long or even crash on some Win 95/98/ME computers.
"

Please upgrade to 4.0.5!

> By the way, why is it called server on Win98 but service on Win2000?

It is called a server on both operating systems.

'Service' is a Win NT/2000/XP mechanism for a daemon process which can be
started automatically at the computer startup. You can register
mysqld-max-nt.exe as a 'service' in those operating systems, as explained in
the MySQL manual. You can then choose the service startup profile
(automatic/manual/disabled) from the Services section of the Control Panel.

> Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy