MarkH,

MaAdn> I need to create a database with tables that can contain either Russian or
MaAdn> Latin1 characters.

MaAdn> Is it right that version 3.23.53 does not support Unicode?

Yes.

MaAdn> If so, how can I
MaAdn> get around this problem.  Can I create 2 databases one using the Latin1 and
MaAdn> the other using the Russian character set?  Indeed can I have 2 databases
MaAdn> referencing different character sets on the same MySQL installation or is
MaAdn> the character set a MySQL server level configuration option?

Till 4.1 you can't set up different character sets for single MySQL
server You must run another instance of mysqld.

You can store data in both encoding as well. If you set
default-character-set=latin1, you will have some problems with
searching and sorting. If russian data will be stored in win1251, you
can avoid this problem by declaring VARCHAR columns as BINARY or use
BLOB. But it doesn't work if russian data is stored in koi8-r.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com