Tim,
[returned the conversation to the list, so that others may benefit]

> Right now in the config.inc.php file i have it set as:
>
> ### MySQL data
> $mysql_host = "localhost"; // localhost name
> (usually:localhost)
> $mysql_user = "mine"; // MySQL username
> $mysql_pass = "mine2"; // MySQL password
> $mysql_base = "gulf"; // MySQL database
>
> Is this fine?

=it's only fine if the user created is also the user 'running' the browser!

=you have declared values for the four fields, but where is your Connect
call? (and thereafter your DB Select call?

=remember that the username and hostname are linked to establish the full
UserId when it comes to establishing privilege. Is your MySQL RDBMS running
on the same machine as you/your browser are working?

> I went in to phpmyadmin and created a user mine.

=are you able to gain access at the command line (with mine/mine2)?

=BTW: now that we all know your pswd, I trust this is not an Internet-facing
machine!

=Idle curiousity: what will the gulf db contain?

=Regards,
=dn