Ach.  I was misreading the original message the entire time.

The reason you see the behavior below for the second query is that
the comparisons are done without regard for trailing spaces.

If you change the column type to TEXT, the second query will
return nothing.  (On the other hand, another effect is that values
stored in the column will *not* have trailing spaces stripped.)