I've recently started to use accented characters in MySQL--
nothing extremely fancy, just the usual things in the
ISO-8859-1 character set, mainly just the vowels with acute,
grave, circumflex, and umlauts.

Originally, everything was working fine; things got entered
correctly, and I could search for them and find them
regardless of the presence of an accent. Doing SELECTs
confirmed this; "SELECT "[e-acute]" = "e";" would return "1",
and so forth.

However, I soon learned that a-umlaut, o-umlaut, and u-umlaut
do not in fact match a, o, and u respectively. This makes it
very difficult to find things that might have these characters.

I can't find anything too relevant in the manual--there's section
4.6.1.1 on the German character set that says that the accents
are removed from everything execept upper- and lower-case
umlauted a, o, and u. However, I didn't start my mysqld with
--default-character-set=latin1_de, so I don't think it's
relevant to me.

Can anyone explain this to me, and more to the point, tell me
what I need to do to get the umlauted a, o, and u to match the
plain variety?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower
SQL, query