At 10:50 -0500 11/28/02, Gary Huntress wrote:
I have upgraded from 3.23 to 4.0 and I have read over
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Installing.html#Up
grading-from-3.23.  I have not yet run mysql_fix_privilege_tables yet and I
really want to since I intend to implement query quotas.

    Since this is a production server I'm concerned about any side effects
of this script.  Is this a very straightforward operation?   Are there any
side effects or bugs I should be aware of?   Finally, is it possible to
reverse the script and go back to the old 3.23 permissions in the event of a
problem?   (note, I can't just save copies of the tables because new users
are added often)
You should read through the script carefully to see what it does, and
assess whether it's actions are likely to cause you problems.  Several
changes were made in 4.0.2 and after that you should consider.  New
privileges were added in 4.0.2, but a couple of these weren't added
to the db table until 4.0.4, so you should *avoid* using 4.0.2 or 4.0.3.
Also, some operations now are handled by different privileges.  For
example, KILL now requires SUPER rather than PROCESS.  If you create new
users and give them SUPER, reverting may require shifting SUPER back
to PROCESS.

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress